View all jobs
Welder Helper - ContractPlano, Texas
Welder Helper Description
Responsibilities to assist Lead Welder in the following
- Read blueprints and drawings and take or read measurements to plan layout and procedures
- Set up components for welding according to specifications (e.g. cut material with powered saws to match measurements)
- Operate angle grinders to prepare the parts that must be welded
- Align components using calipers, rulers etc. and clamp pieces
- Weld components using manual or semi-automatic welding equipment in various positions (vertical, horizontal or overhead)
- Repair machinery and other components by welding pieces and filling gaps
- Test and inspect welded surfaces and structure to discover flaws
- Maintain equipment in a condition that does not compromise safety
- Will be flexible to work on additional custom job projects that will not require any welding (mechanical assembly, bending and forming metals according to print, minor electrical assembly work)
- 5s (Set in order, Sort, Sustain, Shine and Standardize) shop cleanliness, maintain an organized work area
- Must be willing to work on any task to complete any project
- Work well with others and suggest new practices and ideas when needed
- Coordinate with field labor crew for efficient installations
- conduct preventative maintenance of welding equipment and tools.
- cut and prep all piping, flanges, etc.
- cut and prep and bevel material
- Conserve resources whenever possible to ensure budgetary integrity
- Experience using a variety of welding equipment and procedures (TIG, MMA, MIG, Stick, and Plasma Arc Welding, etc).
- Experience in using electrical or manual tools (saws, squares, calipers etc.)
- Need to be able to read a tape measure and do simple shop math.
- Be efficient at coming up with the exact cut lengths holding a +/- 1/16 tolerance
- Have a steady hand and great attention to detail.
- Knowledge of different kinds of metal and their properties is essential
- Ability to read and interpret technical documents and drawings
- Knowledge of relative safety standards and willingness to use protective clothing (face-shield, gloves etc.)
- Deftness and attention to detail
- Proficient in English
- Professional Certification (e.g. an AWS welding certificate) will be a plus
- Basic understanding of Electricity
- Conduct test to check weld quality, including hydrostatic, x-ray, dimension tolerance
- Must take a weld test at our facility before employment offer is decided.